Monday, August 4, 2008

Quote of the day: "I am not a racist."

August 9, 2008
Morning Joe
ABC News video clip

Clinton: People with be studying that thing for years and years.

Interviewer (Kate): People are already studying it. A lot of people including your supporters, your donors, say they blame you at least in part for her loss. I know you've heard this. Do believe it yourself at all?

Clinton: No. I've heard it from the press. I will not comment on this because it interferes with the issue, which is who should be elected in November. I made hundreds of hundreds of speeches, Kate. I bragged on Senator Obama hundreds of times. Now, I will be glad, as soon as this election is over in January, to have this conversation with you and everybody else. I have very strong feelings about it.

Kate: But I don't understand why you say it's bad for him to go--

Clitnon: I live out here in the fact-based world. I don't like this kind of modern reporting that says so and so anonymously says this. You know they all say this.

Kate: Jim Clyburn, not anonymous. New York Times came out--

Clinton: Not my supporter. Jim Clyburn--

Kate: --a friend of yours. Long time friend-

Clinton: Used to be.

Kate: laughs.

Clinton: He was not my s-not a Hillary supporter. Never. Not ever. Not for a day.

Kate: He said you lost a lot of African American support.

Clinton: No, the people who were...

Kate: He said you severely damaged your standing with African Americans.

Clinton: Well that may be, by the time he got working on it that was probably true. I got bad press, right? Because I told the truth that there was a different standard applied to the finest candidate I ever supported.

Kate: Do you personally have any regrets about what you did campaigning for your wife?

Clinton: Yes, but not the ones you think. And it would be counterproductive for me to talk about. There were things I wish I had urged her to do. Things I wish I had said. Things I wish I hadn't said. But I am not a racist. I never made a racist comment. I didn't attack him personally.

Video courtesy of TPMtv

No comments: