Saturday, April 5, 2008

oprah & gail on "white folks"

Here's an interesting conversation between Oprah and Gail.

GAIL: YOU could work for some good white folks.
OPRAH: (affected voice) I hope you get some white folks like I did. I worked for some good white folk.”
GAIL: They're so nice to you. They give you clothes and food to take home.
OPRAH: They give food and clothes to take home. And they give you good clothes too - not all worn out. That’s what my grandmother used to say. And now say that I wish she would have lived to see that I did grow up to get some good white folks…working for me.
GAIL: Working for you.
OPRAH: Working for me. Look around here. All these good white folks.
(Laughing)
GAIL: There’s white people everywhere.
OPRAH: Everywhere. (affected) One black man in here.
(Laughing)
OPRAH: There's one everywhere you look. There's George. More white folks thumbing up."
(Laughing)
GAIL: Yeah there's George is giving a thumbs up." (Laughing.) 'I'm a good white folk.'
(Laughing)

***
Imagine Ellen talkin bout black folks. It's okay for Oprah because it's black folks talking about white folks? Because Oprah's ancestors were slaves and the white folks in the room are descendants of slave owners? How many of these white folks gave their life fighting slavery? How many white folks helped black folks on the road to freedom?

Who are these "white folks". White folks who arrived in the US after slavery? White folks who arrived after the 60's? What percentage of these white folks in the US have had anything to do with Oppression of the Southern Negro?

Obama himself hasn't.

No comments: