Monday, March 30, 2009

Capehart re: Steele vs barry = "black male jealousy"

March 30, 2009

Michael Steele is at it again. Does the RNC want him to keep hanging himself with his crazy words. RNC Chairman thinks abortion is a "personal choice" - how does this speak to the base? And then there's his kowtowing to a radio host. Now he's "done" with barry because of the myth of barry's bipartisanship. Don't blame him. It's a figment of barry's delusional egomania. Look what happened with barry's attempt at bringing on Judd Gregg.

Anyway Steele was interviewed by CNN's Don Lemon. The two other guys are RNC Chair of Florida Jim Greer and Sirius XM radio host Michelangelo Signorelli.

[youtube=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lo7TNGhmKpQ]

NewsPoliticsNews

CNN Transcript:

DON LEMON: OK, well, you know, when I asked him, and I want you to comment on this after Michael, I asked him if he had -- he said he's been trying to reach out to the president for years, President Barack Obama, that there is no professional jealousy when it comes of all -- he said there was a Michael Steele before there was a Barack Obama. So he said he's tried to speak to the president, and I asked him about it.

STEELE: Look, I like the president personally, even though I think he has got a little thing about me, that I haven't quite figured out what that is.

DON LEMON: You haven't spoken to him?
STEELE: No.

LEMON: You've reach out?
STEELE: Several times, and I'm done.

LEMON: So there is no bipartisanship going on there?
STEELE: Not, not that I know of.

LEMON: Is there any professional jealousy?
STEELE: Not on my part. What would I be jealous of?

LEMON: He's the president of the United States.

STEELE: I'm chairman of the RNC, so, what's your point? We both have leadership responsibilities and roles. I'm not equating the two. My point is: you are on your track. I'm on my track. You do your thing. I do my thing.

Don Lemon also asked him if he had considered running for president.

STEELE: No. I'm telling you, I'm looking you in the eye honestly and telling you that, without blinking and without hesitation. Straight up.

LEMON also asked him whether he thought he would have secured his party's chairmanship had he been white.

STEELE: Yes. If my qualifications and my capabilities and my ideas were the same, and the only thing that was different was my skin color, yes. Why wouldn't I be?

LEMON: I asked him if Dr. King would be proud of him, or would think that he realized a dream? And he said yes, I think, absolutely he would. Look, we have two black men or African-American men at the pinnacle of political power in this country. He said one was Barack Obama, the other was Michael Steele.

When Steele was on DL Hughley he said:

STEELE: There was a Michael Steele before there was a Barack Obama.

LEMON asked Steele if he felt like he was on the wrong side of history.

STEELE: Is that how that works? So where was all the support for me when I was running for lieutenant governor of Maryland? Where was all of the support for me when I was running for the U.S. Senate as potentially the first black senator from Maryland? I didn't see a whole lot of, you know, being on the right side or the wrong side of history there. So if I looked at it in that context, I would be stunted in my abilities to do anything. I would become frustrated, angry, to the point where I just give up and go away. And that's just not how I do things. So this isn't about being on the right side or the wrong of anything.

What made this all the more interesting is Jonathan Capehart's pronouncement on Morning Joe. Mika and Joe are looking dumbfounded as to why the question was asked all the while knowing it was a black thing. Mika was waiting for Capehart to say something as the only black on the panel and he obliged.

CAPEHART: They're not even on the same level - Micheal Steele and Barack Obama - what the questioner was trying to imply was that there was some, you know, black male jealousy going on between the two.

Mika looks utterly shocked - bad actor and Joe goes off.

JOE: If I had a bell I would ring. Ding! Ding! Ding!

No comments: