Saturday, April 18, 2009

Jeff Skiles tossed first pitch Brewers' opener (4-10)

April 10, 2009

Flight 1549 posts

Skiles returning to work

US AIRWAYS Flight 1549’s First Officer Jeff Skiles threw out the first pitch (MLB video) at the Brewers’ home opener today against the Cubbies. He was accompanied by his three children, who were very proud of dad. His 15 y/o son Matt is a high school pitcher and helped him practice. Skiles did a decent job and got a nice ovation. A little hitch and a little high and inside but he didn’t bounce it - neither did Sully.

From the AP at 620WTMJ.com

JEFF SKILES:

I know how Cinderella felt and nobody on the inside really understands, it’s just a fluke, I guess, what happened, when it happened, where it happened. It just seems to really have attracted the attention of not just this country, but the world. I get mail and newspapers from foreign countries. I don’t understand anything about what they say in them, but I see the picture of the airplane and I know what it’s about.

About his experience at Yankee Stadium when Capt Sullenberger threw out the first pitch.[see link below] Flight Attendant Doreen Welsh was also there on the mound.

This is really great. Last Friday I was at the Yankees’ game and Sully threw out the first pitch. Just to be out there in front of the crowd, it was just an unbelievable feeling that I guess only pitchers know.

About going back to work. The crew was told they could have the entire summer off.

I’m the first person to go back. It’s not really any psychological reason, at least in my case, it’s all these media events have constantly taken up my time — three, four, five days a week. But I do really miss it. This is the longest time since I was 17 years old that I haven’t flown an airplane. I do miss it and I’m going to enjoy going back.

Has he been enjoying himself?

I’m regular Jeff Skiles from Oregon, Wis., right now, just all these amazing things seem to keep happening to me. But sooner or later, I’m going to go back to what I was before.



=================

Pix & Videos of Flight 1549
UPDATED (4-18): Crew of Flight 1549 appearances
Sullenberger tossed 1st pitch at Yankee Stadium (4-4)
VIDEO Capt Sullenberger’s 1st pitch Yankees - Cubs (4-4)
Capt Sullenberger tossed first pitch for SF Giants (4-7)
MLB video: Sully (Giants) and Skiles (Brewers) first pitches

Sen Ted Kennedy tossed first pitch Red Sox opener

No comments: