Tuesday, December 30, 2008

Gov Blago: “I’ve enjoyed the limelight”

December 30, 2008

[reposting - Burris posts just disappeared for some reason]

Gov Blagojevich appoints Roland Burris to barry’s senate seat. Video & transcript of press conference here.

Here are a few selected quotes.

BLAGOJEVICH:

If I don’t make this appointment, then the people of Illinois will be deprived of their appropriate voice and vote in the United States Senate.

When the press wants him to answer questions:

I’ve enjoyed the limelight I’ve had over the last couple of weeks. I think it’s been…I don’t want to hog the limelight. It’s Roland Burris’ day so I don’t think its appropriate to get involved in answering any questions.

This is about Roland Burris, not about the man who appoints him. Please don’t let the allegations against me taint this good and honest man.

REP BOBBY RUSH proving that blago is no dummy:

There are no African-Americans in the U.S. Senate. And I don’t think any U.S. senator who’s sitting in the Senate right now wants to go on record to deny one African-American from being seated in the U.S. Senate.

I would ask you to not hang or lynch the appointee as you try to castigate the appointer.

Separate the appointee from the appointer. Roland Burris is worthy.

He is the only one I believe that could stand in the gap during these tumultuous times and reestablish the confidence of the people of Illinois.

BLAGO to RUSH:

That was excellent Bobby. Thank you.

BLAGO to reporters:

Feel free to castigate the appointer but don’t lynch the appointer. I am not guilty of any criminal wrongdoing!

BURRIS downplayed the importance of race in his appointment:

I think that certainly is not a major issue. Why those persons will not seat me is a question that they’re going to have to answer, because I have done no wrong

HARRY REID:

We again urge Gov. Blagojevich to not make this appointment. It is unfair to Mr. Burris, it is unfair to the people of Illinois and it will ultimately not stand. The governor must put the interests of the people of Illinois and all Americans first by stepping aside now and letting his successor appoint someone who we will seat.

JAN SCHAKOWSKY:

The problem is the appointer, not the appointee. The governor in this act of defiance is doing more harm than good.

Source: CNN

No comments: