Thursday, June 25, 2009

Geovany Soto tested positive for marijuana in March

June 25, 2009

Might this be the reason for Soto sucking this year? Not exactly a performance enhancer. Maybe it hanging over his head was affecting him. Guess we’ll see.

Soto tested positive back in March during the World Baseball Classic while he was playing for Puerto Rico. He didn’t play much and shouldn’t have played at all and won’t be able to for the next two years – the penalty imposed by the International Baseball Federation.

His positive test won’t affect his status with the Cubs or MLB. Evidently he knew he tested positive and had told the Cubs. He has never failed a test before.

SOTO:

While I fully acknowledge my inappropriate behavior, I want to assure my fans and my family that this was an isolated incident. I do not say this to minimize or deflect from my conduct and I fully understand the ramifications of my actions. I have and will accept any and all consequences.

I am fully dedicated to the game of baseball and my teammates, and I apologize for any distraction and embarrassment this may cause them.

Finally, I would like to thank the Chicago Cubs organization for its support in this matter. I take great pride in putting on my Cubs uniform every day and I look forward to helping the team achieve a successful season.

CUBS:

Geovany assured the organization this was an isolated incident and a misstep in judgment that will not be repeated. Though surprised and disappointed, the club supports Geovany as he takes responsibility for his actions and accepts the consequences.

Source: Chicago Sun-Times

No comments: