Thursday, June 25, 2009

Ryne Sandberg: No to Sammy in HOF


June 23, 2009

Audio

Ryne Sandberg was on the “Waddle & Silvy” show on ESPN 1000 for the 25th anniversary of his 2 HR game off Bruce Sutter. Sutter of course has to put up being asked about it every year but being an ex Cub helps as does the fact that Ryno is a Hall of Famer. Then they talked about his AA team Tennessee Smokies and then whether Sammy Sosa should get into the HOF.

Will the Cubs ever honor Sammy despite the news of him cheating?

RYNE SANDBERG: That’s a tough one. I was around Sammy for about five years before I retired [1992-94, 96, 97], and there wasn’t anything going on then. I did admire the hard work he put in. He was one of the first guys down to the batting cage, hitting extra. I figured he was working out hard in the offseason to get bigger. It was just happening throughout the game, that even myself was blinded by what was really happening, maybe starting in the ‘98 season.

I think it’s very unfortunate. I think suspicions were there as they are with some other players. Those players are now put in a category of being tainted players with tainted stats. I think it’s obviously something that was going on in the game. Players participated in it and, as the names have come out, I think that they will be punished for that.

Do you think Sammy belongs in the Hall?

I don’t think so. They use the word ‘integrity’ in describing a Hall of Famer in the logo of the Hall of Fame, and I think there are gonna be quite a few players that are not going to get in. It’s been evident with the sportswriters who vote them in, with what they’ve done with Mark McGwire getting in the 20 percent range. We have some other players … like [Rafael] Palmeiro coming up soon, and it’ll be up to the sportswriters to speak loud and clear about that. I don’t see any of those guys getting in.

What if they get a separate wing in the Hall? [Crazy question]

I don’t even think I’d be in favor of that. I think it’s sending the wrong message. It’s something that’s against the law and against society. It was cheating in the sport. I don’t think the Hall will accept that or go that route. I think it has to be spoken very loud and clear on the stance, and baseball needs to stand, as they have. I’m very, very satisfied with the testing program they have in place now. For a guy who’s tested positive today under what happens now, like Manny Ramirez, it almost takes an idiot to participate in that. So, for the society, for the up-and-coming players and youth out there, I don’t think those guys should be recognized at all.

I agree. Sammy shouldn’t be given any type of ceremony at Wrigley. And the corked bat was enough to rule out the Hall of Fame. It took till this year for Fergie to be recognized and get his number retired and only because Greg Maddux had the same number. And what’s with the separate hall nonsense. There should be a separate wing for Ronnie.

Source: ESPN CHICAGO

No comments: